Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Thai Jellyfish salad (Yam naem khao tod)

When I 1st tried this salad, I was so in love! Using d limited Thai language that I know, I tried to ask d street vendor for d name but I never got it (guess I need to practice d language more). Few mths later, I finally mgd to find out from another customer buying from d same street vendor that this salad is called Yam naem khao tod (Yam Naem for short). She even bother to explained that it’s best eaten with betel leaves due to d its medicinal properties.

I really love this salad that can be bought along d streets of Bangkok for only THB25. In fact, it’s so good that I have it almost every day for lunch after my Hot Yoga session.

The balance of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar & salt listed here are guidelines. Thai salad is an individual dish that you will find you might like with more of any 1 ingredient than what the recipe calls for.

  • 2 cups jelly fish, shredded
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • ¼ cup Scallion
  • ¼ cup ginger, sliced into thin slices
  • ½ cup peanuts, toasted
  • 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
  • dried peppers flakes, optional

Cut jelly fish into shreds, soak in water for 2 hour, take them out, soak in warm water for 4 hours & shift into ice water. Before eating, take them out, squeeze water out & place on a plate. You can also microwave the jelly fish for 30 seconds be4 adding them to the salad to kill any residual bacteria.

Just put them all into a mixing bowl & mix them well. They r usually wrap in either lettuce, basil, or betel leaves be4 putting into 1’s mouth.

Optional - for a vegetarian, omit jelly fish & substitute soy sauce for fish sauce. You can also replace jelly fish with dried shrimp. Some also prefer tamarind in place of lemon juice.

No comments: