With my mum & nephew in town, I went surfing for something interested to try out & decided on this recipe from Baking Mum. And in order to explain why this dish was called 三杯鸡, I went online to locate the story behind this dish & found out that there r many versions on the origins of 三杯鸡. However, the name was derives from the 3 cups of sauces required – soy sauce, rice wine & sesame oil. Even though it does not really required 1 cup each. But I decided that this is d best way to explained to 2 toddlers.
End result - both MIL & mum commented that more wine shd be added.
- 800g boneless ckn thigh
- 10 slices ginger
- 15 cloves garlic
- 2 stalk spring onions (cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Branch of basil leaves
- 45 ml sesame oil
- 45 ml light soy sauce
- ¼ cup Chinese cooking wine + 2-3tbsp for serving
- 1½ tbsp sugar (can change depending on 1 preference of sweetness)
- 1½ tbsp mirin
- 1½ tsp cinnamons
- ¼ tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp apple vinegar
- Place ginger, spring onions, chilli at d bottom of a pot.
- Place chkn piece on top be4 pouring all the seasonings ingredients into d pot.
- Cook chicken uncovered for abt 15 mins over high heat.
- Add in bunch of basil, cover pot & continue to cook until sauce thickens. D thickness of d sauce r dependable on individual’s preference. Turn off fire once that right thickness is reached.
- Sprinkle more wines into d pot & stir well be4 serving.