Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2009

English Muffins

Sunday is usually d day we don’t go out for BF so I was browsing through Cookie Baker Lynn’s blog & saw this simple/easy English muffin recipe & decided to give it a try. However, as mentioned in previous post, I believed that our weather temp might play a very important part in any dough related baking. Therefore, I decided to try & error by adding ingredients part by part so that I can stop as & when I c fits. Thus, ingredients r a little diff from d original.

As stated in d original post, it does yield a very sticky dough & I really have a very hard time trying to cut it into circles. By d time I put them onto d frying pan, their r in all kinds of odd shape. Also, as advised by Lynn, I didn’t add cornmeal in order to ensure my frying pan’s surface does not get scratch.

End result - OMG! Never taste such soft & fluffy English muffins! I just cant stop eating it even after finishing d 3rd piece! Yum, yum! However, I never get that little "cut me" divot. Maybe next time…

  • 180ml low-fat milk, warmed
  • 30ml whipping cream
  • 23g unsalted butter, soften
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups + 4tbsp Bread Flour
  • 1 tsp yeast
  1. Place ingredients in ABM following manufacturer's instructions & set d "dough" setting. The dough shd be very soft & a bit sticky so do check after 5mins into kneading & add flour/milk if required.

  2. After d cycle is complete, trf dough to a floured surface & roll it out until its abt 1/2-inch thick. Cut out circles with a floured 3-inch cutter. Re-roll & cut out leftover dough until it’s all finish. Cover muffins with a damp cloth & let rest for abt 20 mins.

  3. Heat a frying pan over low heat. Do not grease, but sprinkle with cornmeal if desired. Cook each side for abt 7 mins. If possible, try using a larger pan so that you'll be better able to keep up with d rising muffins. Check after 3-4 mins to ensure muffins r browning gently. If they seem to be cooking either too fast or too slowly, adjust temp of frying pan.
  4. When muffins r brown on both sides, trf to a wire rack for cooling, & proceed with d rest.

No comments: