Tried out d scone recipe from Shopoholic2802 today & it turn out a failure. Not sure what went wrong but d scones were all too hard to eat. But am not willing to just give up so I searched d web & decided on this recipe from Happy Home Baking (which includes a very detailed instructions on d method)
End result – very soft & fluffy batch of scones! A bit similar to d biscuits that McDonalds used to serve during BF (which was my fav). My batch was served warm straight from oven for testing. Both Hubby & MIL LOVED it! They commented that it tasted very soft & buttery.
Keeps well too, still soft & fluffy d very next day! Just pop it into d MW to heat up.
YES! Finally a good scone/biscuit recipe that works for me ;-D
Ingredients (makes 8):
- 250g cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- one pinch of salt (I used ¼ tsp)
- 50g cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 egg plus enough fresh milk to make up 140ml (I used d bal whipping cream from Shopoholic2802's scone recipe instead)
Here’s my simplified method based on Quinn’s suggestion :
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve flour & baking powder together. Add in salt & sugar & mix them well. Cut butter into small pieces & coat with flour be4 placing them into a mini food processor. Add more flour & do 3 pulses. Then add them back into d flour & whisk ard be4 putting d flour-butter mixture into d fridge for minimum 30 mins.
- Lightly beat d egg & add enough whipping cream to make up 140ml in total. Remove flour-butter mixture from fridge. Add egg+milk mixture & stir until just combined. Mixture will be sticky, moist & lumpy. Gather up the mixture & place it into a zip-lock bag. Give it a few light kneading (not more than 10 seconds) so that it comes together to form a dough. DO NOT over work d dough. Place dough bag into fridge for abt 30mins.
- On a lightly floured surface, dust hands with some flour & pat out d dough into 1 inch thickness. Cut out d dough with a lightly floured biscuit cutter. Gather scraps together & repeat until all d dough is used.
- Place cut biscuits into muffin cups & bake at preheated oven at 180degC for abt 15-20 mins or until d tops r golden brown. Remove from oven & place on a wire rack. Serve warm.
- They keep well overnite too. Just pop them into d MW with hot water beside it for less than 1min.