Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Healthy version of Jaime Oliver's basic bread recipe

I have been trying out lots of recipes from famous chef & recently, am into Sneaky Chef. Basically, all her recipes have ‘secret (healthy)’ ingredients that most children hate to eat. But she manages to ‘hide’ them well enough that children don’t know they r eating something healthy. There’s this 1 sneaky method that I really like – healthy version of flour blend. She used this for most of her pancakes & muffin recipes. I like d idea of Hayden eating wheat germ & whole wheat so I gave it a try by using this healthy flour blend for his wkend donuts. Hayden took 4 mini donuts that day! I was really happy abt it so I decided to try more recipes using this healthy version of flour blend. Well, sad to said but out of the 7 times I tried incorporate this flour blend into some of d bread recipes, I had to throw away 6 uneatable loaves. And d 1 loaf that was eatable, Hubby said it’s too dry for him.


So, it’s not always that easy but I really didn’t want to just give up like that so I decided to give it another go using Jamie Olive’s basic bread recipe. I hope that by just starting at d basic, I might just be able to figure out what really is needed to make this healthy version bread a success. Therefore, I made modifications along d process as I watch d bread maker knead d dough. And when Hubby tried d end result, it was considered a success! Phew!
So here’s d recipe for anyone who wants to give it a go.


Sneaky Chef's Healthy version of flour blend

  • 1 cup of All-purpose flour
  • 1 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup of wheat germ

Mix all together for later usage. It can also be kept in d fridge for up to 3mths.

Jamie Oliver’s basic bread recipe (modified)

  • 4 cup bread flour
  • 3 ½ cup Healthy flour blend
  • 3 tbsp (30g) yeast
  • 2 tbsp honey or 30g sugar
  • 110ml warm milk + 400ml tepid water
  • 26g salt

Put all into d bread maker & select basic cycle for 1kg load. Check after 5mins & add 2-3 tbsp of water if dough is too dry. But from past (failure) tries, less water is needed if using wheat germ so try not to pour all d water in so fast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, may I know what is the brand of your breadmachine? I do own a BM but the end result is not as nicely bake as yours. The bread crust from my BM is very thick and hard (I selected light crust though) whereas your crust of your bread loaf looks thin and crispy.
Look forward to your reply. Thanks in advance!

Irene said...

Sorry! I forgotten to check d brand of my BM. But it's normal for crust to be thick if u r baking using a BM.

However, after many tries, I have mgd to 'catch' d timing of my BM. So for this case, I actually off d BM power after only 35mins of baking without opening d lid at all.
Then, d loaf is left in d BM after I off d power for at least another 1-2hrs be4 I remove it from d BM for cooling/slicing.
This way, d crust will not be too thick & d inside is still 'cooked' with d remaining heat that's still trap inside d BM after power is off.

Hope this helps.

Happy Baking!
Irene